Driver’s Day (17th September) - R R Padmanabhan, Director -

Driver’s Day (17th September) 

The inspiration for this post is from Mr Ramesh Kumar, Drivers’ Duniya.  He almost singlehandedly espouses the cause of Drivers. Just this morning, I came to know about Driver’s Day.  I decided to pay my respects to the Drivers community.  I am pretty sure that unless we, the community recognize the role of drivers and acknowledge their contribution, pretty soon, you may have to import drivers from somewhere (I don’t know from where). We are already short of 50% less of requirement.

By and large, the society has certain stereotypes of them: 

     01.                    They are rude and uncultured

     02.                    They have no background

     03.                    They have no ambitions

     04.                    They are irresponsible

     05.                    They are not clean

     06.                    They are drunkard 

The whole of yesterday, I was on road travelling from Madurai to Tuticorin, on an official work on behalf of my client Tamilnadu Newsprint Limited (TNPL).  From Madurai to Tuticorin and back to Madurai airport, my driver was Mr Rajendran. He is a middle-aged man of about 45 with 2 siblings, the daughter in engineering and the son in computer science course.  Hailing from agriculturist family, his father and wife support him in agriculture.  Perhaps, agriculture does not provide decent living for the family, he is in to driving full time.  I am quite sensitive to sudden brakes and over speeding.  He perfectly fitted my preference.

His accolades do not stop with that.  He was a full-time politician in his village, even been the Vice Chairman of his Village Panchayat and even now confident of winning an election, if only there is one. See his photo.  Do you see any of those stereotypes?



R R Padmanabhan,

Director - Exim Academy



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Salem - My District My Pride - R R Padmanabhan, Director - Exim Academy

Cuddalore - My District, My Pride - R R Padmanabhan, Director - Exim Academy

Legalisation of Documents - R R Padmanabhan, Director - Exim Academy