Salem - My District My Pride - R R Padmanabhan, Director - Exim Academy

 Salem - My District My Pride

I dare to say that entrepreneurial ecosystem begins from this district and goes through Erode, Tiruppur and Coimbatore.  There is so much of activity that goes on here. Salem is known as Steel City, but I would like to call it as Mango city.  The mango grown here is called as Malgova (I don’t know whether I spelt it right), the fruit is juicy and pulpy.  I checked up the Geographical Registry (GI), the fruit is yet to be registered.  It is time it is done to enhance its prestige in the world market. 

Another distinct feature is Sago, native to Salem.  Recent times, Sago Serve, a State Government initiative in getting the farmers organized is doing well.   But much more needs to be in terms of marketing and branding.  The district is known for Granites, Fabrics, Readymade Garments, Egg and Coir and coir products. 

In the state government’s One District One Product scheme, silver jewelry is taken up.  But Salem is much more than that.  It is of course, the district is largest supply base for silver jewelry in India. 

Industrial associations here are quite active and represent the industry quite effectively.  The need of the hour for the district testing facility and certificate at a nominal cost, skill development and above all digital marketing.  Online search reveals that there are 334 colleges offering arts and science, law, engineering, management, medicine and nursing besides being home to Periyar University. With so much of  educated youth, active industrial associations, entrepreneurial eco system and government support, certainly, the district is bound to scale up higher and higher.


R R Padmanabhan,
Director - Exim Academy.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cuddalore - My District, My Pride - R R Padmanabhan, Director - Exim Academy

Legalisation of Documents - R R Padmanabhan, Director - Exim Academy